By Steve Leibson
Processor cores for SOC designs may be way more plastic than microprocessor ICs for board-level procedure designs. Shaping those cores for particular purposes produces far better processor potency and lots more and plenty reduce approach clock charges. jointly, Tensilica’s Xtensa and Diamond processor cores represent a kin of software-compatible microprocessors overlaying an incredibly broad functionality diversity from easy keep an eye on processors, to DSPs, to 3-way superscalar processors. but all of those processors use an analogous software-development instruments in order that programmers accustomed to one processor within the kin can simply swap to another.
This booklet emphasizes a processor-centric MPSOC (multiple-processor SOC) layout type formed through the realities of the 21st-century and nanometer silicon. It advocates the task of projects to firmware-controlled processors each time attainable to maximise SOC flexibility, minimize energy dissipation, decrease the scale and variety of hand-built good judgment blocks, scale down the linked verification attempt, and reduce the final layout risk.
· a necessary, no-nonsense advisor to the layout of 21st-century mega-gate SOCs utilizing nanometer silicon.
· Discusses brand new key concerns affecting SOC layout, in accordance with author's many years of non-public adventure in constructing huge electronic structures as a layout engineer whereas operating at Hewlett-Packard's computer laptop department and at EDA computing device pioneer Cadnetix, and protecting such subject matters as an award-winning expertise journalist and editor-in-chief for EDN journal and the Microprocessor Report.
· Explores conventionally permitted limitations and perceived limits of processor-based method layout after which explodes those man made constraints via a clean outlook on and dialogue of the unique skills of processor cores designed in particular for SOC design.
· Thorough exploration of the evolution of processors and processor cores used for ASIC and SOC layout with a glance at the place the has come from, and the place it really is going.
· Easy-to-understand reasons of the features of configurable and extensible processor cores via a close exam of Tensilica's configurable, extensible Xtensa processor middle and 6 pre-configured Diamond cores.
· the main complete overview to be had of the sensible features of configuring and utilizing a number of processor cores to accomplish very tough and impressive SOC fee, functionality, and tool layout goals.